The B.A. Programme is interdisciplinary in scope and nature, aiming to give a holistic and comprehensive reading of different subjects and disciplines in the Humanities and Social Sciences. In the first year, a student will be required to do courses in English Language, an Indian Language and two Discipline courses. The discipline and language subjects chosen will remain the same through the three years. Besides Language and the Discipline courses, a student will also study a Foundation course in the second year and an Application course in the third year.
Of the total admissions to the B.A. Programme, seven seats are reserved for candidates offering Bengali as a subject option. To be eligible, applicants will need to have studied and passed Bengali at Class VIII level. Candidates are advised to fill up the separate pink-coloured form for this purpose. Candidates may also apply on-line by visiting the college website: www.kmcollege.ac.in
Discipline Courses (2)
Language Courses (2)
Discipline Courses (all 3 years)
Economics, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Bengali, Hindi, English, Urdu and Sanskrit in all three years.
English (in the 1st and 3rd year, with options in English-A, English-B and English-C)
Modern Indian Language (any 1)
- Hindi (in the 1st and 2nd year, with options in Hindi-A, Hindi-B and Hindi-C)
- Bengali (in the 1st and 2nd year, with options in Bengali-A, Bengali-B and Bengali-C)
- Urdu (in the 1st and 2nd year, with options in Urdu-A, Urdu-B and Urdu-C)
- Sanskrit (in the 1st and 2nd year)
Note: A student can take a maximum of 8 language based courses (with a maximum of 6 in one language) over three years. This includes language-based Application and Foundation courses. In case students have not studied any of the languages on offer in this category beyond Class VIII, they can opt for a Discipline course in lieu of a Modern Indian Language.
Foundation Courses (in the 2nd year)
- Contemporary India
- -a Language, Literature and Culture (in English medium)
- -b Bhasha, Sahitya aur Sanskriti (in Hindi medium)
- Human Rights, Gender and Environment
Application Courses (in the 3rd year)
- Mass Communication (in English)
- Mass Communication (in Hindi)
- Basic Statistics
- Voluntary Organizations
- Translation and Interpretation in Bengali / Creative Writing in